Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Eye...bleach?

 So I made Riley a little shirt the other day. 


It's the Carpatina men's shirt pattern, not bad for $5. The collar needs to be adjusted, but not too bad for a test run. 

But, when I was trying to get his wig to look less like a butt, I noticed something.


Hey, bud, you feeling okay? Because your eyes look like maybe your liver isn't working too well. 

There's no real history I could find of Magic Attic dolls having their eyes yellow, but the main connection I had to people in this hobby for these specific dolls was shut down when Yahoo groups shut down.

I dropped it in the doll section of my pattern school discord, but most people who do dolls there are Monster High modders. They just kind of tolerate me because I'm general manager of the server.

Everyone knows the general story of these dolls (they were good, the company went through Some Shit, then they were bad, then the company shut down) and they wanted to know if any of my other dolls had yellowed eyes, and I just hadn't noticed.


Keisha, Chloe, my Alison, and Megan are all fine. I was expecting Megan's to go yellow since she's newer than the Alison that's now Riley was, but I was thinking that maybe with the wigged hair they got better eyes? 

As you can see, my Alison's eyes are just fine, which makes me want to say that it's probably NOT about being stored wrong, since I think I did everything wrong someone can do to preserve a doll. 

And, unfortunately, while I have no idea where she sits on the age range of these, it looks like Rose is also having some liver problems. I don't know what kind of problem these kids get up to when I'm not paying attention. At least they're not Elsie Dinsmore

I'm considering trying to retrobirte these, since I've done that before with keyboards, and dolls and keytars are both the same thing in the way of me owning too many of them for no decent reason. So we can try that, since it'll probably not be terrible if it doesn't work out. I already have 30vol crem peroxide so I just need a sunny day. I'll keep you posted.

This is, as we said in my group, literal eye bleach.


Apparently, Life of Faith (a "pro christian values" American Girl alternative) dolls have an even worse eye defect:


ImageSleep well, kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment