Sunday, May 7, 2017

Alison Saves the Wedding, pt2

So, Alison's got her shiny, clean dress, so now she's only missing three pieces.

Two and a half if you count the fact that she has one of her shoes. One shoe is still zero pairs of shoes, though, so I'm not counting that.

It's really a pity that I lost the other shoe, because Alison's wedding shoes are probably the prettiest MAC shoes I own.  They're a sturdy vinyl. They don't have any seams except the back one, so I think they'll (cross fingers) be pretty easy to replicate.

And now, for her petticoat/slip.
Spoiler alert, it looks like this.


Since I recently got a pretty devastating bout of Ebay Disease that's trashed my bank account until my next paycheck (and I got paid on Friday, bad news), all the doll clothes I make for a while are going to come off the Wall of Fabric.

As you can see on the left, the wall of fabric is en restaro right now, due to the water-gushing-from-my-ceiling incident. At the bottom shelf of the case on the left is my box of fabric flowers, so I'll have to unbury that eventually. Thankfully, Clone Zero, my Wheeler and Wilson D-9/W9 treadle sewing machine from 1901 was uninjured, even though most of the water fell on him.

Basically everything I own has a name. It's a bit childish. I'm also a 25-year-old woman who plays with dolls and has a blog where she shares stories about their made-up lives.

Where were we? Right. Weddings.
 So, up there on the wall of fabric was a double-layer of nylon crystal organza. It had been sewn together at the top. I'm sure I bought it for petticoats or something. It's not a Layer Cake Dress leftover because the texture's wrong. I have a lot of fabric on the Wall that I don't know where it came from.
Apparently I had started something with this and then just put it on the wall, because I'd already sewn it up.

So, time to pull out Sergestiel and find my cones of thread.

Couple of narrow hems (not rolled hems, narrow hems. Rolled hems don't like working on organza like this, trust me) on the bottom. I hemmed the two layers at different heights, so you could see both layers through the clear fabric.

Then comes the lining, which is a bleached muslin. Eye Dee Kay why I had bleached muslin, because I only buy natural muslin for draping. No real reason, just that it's the same price and I like the way pencil marks show on it better. Okay, one real reason, I like the way pencil marks show up on it better. That's all I need.

It turns out I don't know where most of my stuff on the Wall came from.

After this, it's just gathering the three layers into each other.
Remember the rule, kiddos: Bell shape, gather at the waist, A-shape and you gather at the hem.
You can't see it, but the lining inside has a blue bias tape bound hem. I want to pretend that it's a design call, but I actually just cut it too short (meaning it technically has a bias tape banded hem, but who's keeping score?)
It's elasticized in the back with some really wide 1" elastic because it's what I had and I'm not allowed to buy anything because of aforementioned Ebay Disease.

And here's a work in progress shot on our dear model, though not a very good one because you can't see the poof that the petti provides at all. It honestly doesn't provide a lot of poof, but GDI it says she has one in the catalogues, so she's going to get one.

The ribbon I used for the picture is stiff and way too wide, but it's what I could pull out of the wall of fabric without toppling the whole mess. She'll get a real flower crown pretty soon, but not this paychek unless someone outbid me and saves my sorry butt.

Not sharing on what I bought. That's secret for now.

Also, I have found an absolutely fantastic doll blog, American Girl Outsider. She's well-known in the American Girl community, but I haven't been part of the American Girl community, so I didn't know of her. Anyway, if you'd like to read something more interesting than the backlog of my blog, take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment