Sunday, April 23, 2017

Alison clothing, progressing

Quick summary of today's progress. Here's Ali in her new pants and most of her new shirt.


First, the pants. They're still lacking a back closure because guess who forgot to buy velcro DESPITE WORKING AT A CRAFT FUCKING STORE

As you can see, the pockets are wanky as fuck, but I'm letting myself get away with this.
I haven't faded the jeans, though I'd like to. I had some fun adding distressed patches, but I'm also keeping track of the fact that these are for a canonically 10-13 year old, so I'm being careful to not let any distressed patch get too high up on the leg. I'm sort of shooting with the clothes for around age 13-14, because that's freshman year of high school, which was when I started really making choices about my own clothes, and I'm working a lot of Alison's personality (both from the books and from what I made up as a kid) into her clothes.
Wow, that was a long sentence. I should stop writing htese when I"m so tired.
What we do know, all canon aside, we do know from the dolls themselves that none of them have developed chests, or wear bras. I didn't have boobs till I was in like my junior year of high school, so I'm saying that's a passable thing for 14. I developed way later than most girls but shhh whatever.

Something I'd forgotten is that her t-shirt (from her starter outfit) snaps in the back so she can get it on. When I realized this, I had to adjust my plans.

I went from plans to do a full jersey shirt to making it raglan sleeved. Raglan sleeves aren't super 'in' right now with the cool kids in freshman high school who are hip to the jive and go to the sock hops. They're still very associated with modern sporty things, and they'll be fun to put on a graphic tee.
Bonus point about raglan sleeves: I can put a snap closure on the back of one sleeve, and make a discrete connection for a closure to let her head in. The black fabric is something I had hanging around after the Lin Beifong cosplay. It's an athletic semi-mesh, which wasn't intentional, but I like it.

I'm still not sure what to put on the shirt. I'm tempted to copy the polyvore I originally used as an inspiration, and just put, "weirdo," but I also might put "dyslexics UNTIE" on it. In canon, Alison is dyslexic, and has to come to accept how getting after school tutoring affects her social life, so I want to represent the way she comes to terms with that. I saw the shirt in person and thought it was funny, but it's always tough for me to represent a disability that I don't have. I need to think this one over more.

Also, found her hat that I made her yesterday when I was at work today.
I'm going to work the teal/blue color theme into the outfit more than it currently is. Wouldn't be the Magic Attic Club without the girls being color coded for our convenience. To be fair, I love the color coded thing.

And a last and final shout out to Sergestiel, my serger, making that shirt much easier.



No comments:

Post a Comment