Thursday, April 27, 2017

Alison's hair struggles (and more!)

Careful and not-so-careful observers alike will notice that Alison has some hair problems.
It's very frizzed (I think heat damaged) and has a couple of short spots in the back where a younger me cut pieces off. I was also doing this to my own hair, at the time, but doll hair doesn't grow back.

My main plan is to rewig her, but the idea of fixing up her hair in the meantime is one that I'm entertaining

That stuff in the bottle down there is Katie Bair's miracle in a bottle Wig Conditioner. It's a leave in conditioner she formulated for cosplay wigs, which are usually long and straight and smooth and a lot like what Alison's hair should be like. I've used this on long cosplay wigs and it's amazing, so it was time to give it a shot.

Kanekalon is kanekalon, when you get down to it.

You just rub it on, let it dry, and detangle. Going up Alison's head in layers, there's a lot of places where there's nice and smooth hair, especially at the roots. There's also a nearly-bald spot at the direct back of her head.


The wig conditioner helped a LOT, but not enough to fix all the damage. Once everything's as smooth as I can get it, it's all going to need a trim to even it out, especially her bangs.


I know that for cosplay wigs, fabric softener can work miracles. However, I don't know what kind of miracles it can do to vinyl bodies and 20 year faceups. I sure didn't want to un-wig her and glue it back on unless I have to. 

So, the challenge was to get a product onto hair, without that product getting onto faces or hands or bodies or clothing, and to have it remain on the hair for hours without drying out or falling off.

And then I found a tint brush. I used to use these on my hair, back when I only dyed the front locks and left the back plain.


So, fabric softener foils it is! Process is easy, just sectioned off chunks of hair and applied straight fabric softener to it, no diluting. Perks of doing this with fabric softener and not neon pink dye is that I could apply it with the hair in my hand and feel the underside to know when it's saturated. Once it was on the foil, I could add an extra blob on the ends to make sure they're covered.

I have some damn pictures of this but my google drive folder won't refresh and there's no manual way to force it to refresh, so this post is going to sit open on my computer for a while.

Nope, been three hours and fuck all has happened. We'll catch up with Alison and her cute green bath robe tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment