Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Clean Workspace

I see all these blogs where people have their own sewing rooms, and everything's perfect.

Well. Here's my workspace:

And here it is with some numbers on it.
  1. The doll, and the doll's head
  2. plastic watercolor pallet, used for pastels. This is the lid, The main body's on the left, currently still for watercolors
  3. 100% acetone, in the pump bottle, which I find saves a lot of acetone and a lot of stress
  4. Magic Eraser. There's another one cut into tiny bits somewhere around there
  5. Compression glove with wrist support, because RSI isn't fun
  6. Q-tips. Sometimes dipped in acetone. Sometimes dipped in water. Usually just sucked on for a second and then used to wipe something off.
  7. Yes, that's a pantyliner. They come in boxes of 96, they're lint free, they don't overabsorb acetone like cotton balls, you can cut one into 5 cotton-ball sized pieces, and they've got a sticky back so they never go missing. Why more people don't use them as craft tools, I'll never know. I used to wreck paint pants by drying and wiping my brush on y thigh. Now I can stick one to my thigh and wipe on that. 
  8. My computer. This poor thing. At the moment it's a tablet with a disabled and broken touchscreen, a stand that looks like a keyboard but no longer acts as a keyboard, a microusb to femaleUSB adapter, a splitter, a fullsize keyboard, and a fullsize mouse. 
  9. Chalk pastels. Artist Loft brand from Michaels, $4.99, 10/10 would recommend
  10. Marla.
  11. Peanut butter jar full of water. Lid's important because that rug is nice.
  12. Towel. Got to know where your towel is
  13. Design Master Super Surface Sealer. I've never used MSC but I've got a lot of experience with Super Surface. If you let too many layers build up, it'll start to look shiny, but just one or two is good, and if the doll gets shiny then the face matches the body, which I like. It's a design call.
  14. Bags of stuff from yesterday's shopping trip. Mostly paint
  15. My grandma's sewing machine. Absolutely fabulous sewing machine. Singer Featherweight Centennial
  16.  This clear plastic from the front of the front of the doll box is now my trash can. It's got Frankie's hair in it, among other things. Monster High dolls have an impressive amount of hair, props to them. 
  17. My acrylic paint pallet, which is a 1-subject notebook that I've just been putting paint on.
  18. Artist Loft brand watercolor pencils, $4.99, you get what you pay for, chunky, do not recommend. Also my three paint brushes: Simply Simmons 6 Filbert, Artist Loft 18/0 round, 3 round cheap noname brush for gloss
 Hidden in the same box as the doll head and the pallet is Sculpey brand gloss glaze, which I quite like.

And that's all I've got for the things I use. You can see the empty space on the left where I sit, L-like, as I work.

Sometimes Spackle, my large, white, hairy, meowing roommate, tries to help too.

No comments:

Post a Comment